Thursday 31 May 2012

My Life Truisms (subject and open to change and growth)

So, Mr. Red Button has flexed his self help muscles a bit (see post here) ... I found it a soothing, helpful read which felt like it flowed naturally from his very interesting brain...

Which got me thinking.... Is there a self-help guru living inside each Bipolar and if so, why...? I believe it was Ghandi (don't quote me on this) who said some fluffy thing about 'the wounded healer'..

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light...

The shift that occurs in spirit, (vibrational energy or chakra if you will) when a person moves from depression into hypo-mania can be likened to emerging from a cavernous dark depth into glaring sunshine of hope and renewal.

Stumbling out of her dark night, she had finally found the sun

Having to experiece this ever so often does something to one's ability to empathize and may contribute to some deeply perceptive thinking.

That being considered, here are my ...


Life Truisms... (very open to discussion, change and growth - I despise absolutes)


1. "Everything happens for a reason" is not a baseless, bland repitition learned from Sunday School teachers..





Everything DOES happen for a reason. Your spin on it determines whether or not that reason produces life-enhancing or life-diminishing results

2. The universe is always sending us messages... whether or not be embrace the messenger or appreciate the envelope.


3. Your brain has the ability to lie to you. For example during a panic attack my brain tells me that I cannot breathe. Most times it is difficult not to believe the lies our brains ooze.





When I am depressed, I cannot trust my thoughts; my brain lies to me. So, I go and sit next to people who love me and know  my worth.... I listen to them instead.


4. "You are not alone in this" - is one of the most comforting realizations any human being can have. it immediately sends out ripples of hope. That small connection has healing qualities.


5. Who you think you are and what you think you believe can be wiped out in a second by ONE life changing experience.





The awareness that a new experience can demolish the most deeply seated conviction terrifies me. I hesitate to hold on too dearly to any cause for fear that my truism may have to change without a day's notice.


6. The prnciples of Buddhism appeals to me more than the rigid laws of Christianity. Interestingly, I find the messages of Buddha and Christ quite similar.


7. Perspective is EVERYTHING.



Since I grasped this, I have been able to appreciate both sides of any argument without becoming emotionally attached to either.



8. People find balance and fulfillment in different ways. It doesnt necessarily mean its the wrong way. If someone is not on your road that doesn't mean they are lost.


9. Fear can be synonymous with hate. We tend to hate that which we fear. Fear, hatred and ignorance combine to create a happy team: Prejudice. Find yourself hating something? Ask yourself why you fear it or try to explore and learn something about it.


10. One negative quality doesn't make a person bad all over. We each have a unique blend.



We all walk in the dark and each of us must learn to turn on his or her own light (sometimes with the help of a therapist *wide grin*)


Depression: temporarily seeing only the negative aspects of yourself
Narcissism: permanently seeing only the yummy stuff about yourself 


11. The amazing human being has the potential to adjust to almost (I fear absolutes) any situation.

If you hang around the strangest thing long enough, it becomes common place...Just ask the person who processes dead bodies or scrapes up fecal matter for a living...



Interestingly, I used to process fecal matter for a living  hehe.. I'm well adjusted.


12. When your right to freedom infringes on the freedom of others...Mmmm something just doesnt feel 'free' anymore.




Sure! You can do whatever you please! - When you live on Planet Me. Until then, earth is occupied by other human beings who also have equal rights. Let's not blur freedom with selfish, inconsiderate behaviour that is harmful to others.

1 comment: